Yup, my baby girl went and turned one on me yesterday, and she's really not much of a baby anymore.
She now has 6 teeth (4 on top, 2 on bottom) which have all come in since mid-July. Pretty much she's been teething every other week and especially when we're on vacation. I still have a hard time telling when she's teething because she doesn't really act like she's teething. Basically the only sign I usually have is that she stops sleeping through the night but even then is typically able to be soothed and put back to sleep. That and she tends to get diaper rash when she's teething too. Don't ask me why those would be connected.
She is definitely a walker and has been since August 27 when she took her first steps from me to Jason and back. It was still a week or two before she would show off for anyone else (or even until we could get a decent video), but then it didn't take long before she decided that it's the only way to get around.
She loves exploring and hardly ever wants to sit still anymore. Whenever she is someplace new she has to explore every nook and cranny and take every nick knack out of its place, usually repeatedly. She has also figured out how to climb stairs proficiently but still hasn't figured out how to go down.
She likes music and has taken to dancing even to music in TV commercials. She still loves Elmo (as was evident at her birthday party) and would probably watch Sesame Street all day if I'd let her. She also likes remotes of all kinds. TV, game controllers, stereo, she's not picky. She's not a huge binky fan but does like it while she's sleeping. If I give it to her during the day though it serves more as a teether than anything else.
She's on an all table food diet these days although she still prefers her fruits and veggies to her meat (unless it is shredded pork). She also likes to pick out the green Apple Jacks over the orange ones even though they taste the same to me. She LOVES bread and would probably be content with rolls for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
She doesn't talk using actual words yet (not even mama or dada on a regular basis) but that doesn't mean she doesn't know how to communicate. She is very vocal and figures out new sounds all the time. She has also started to become more interactive with people around her. This is probably the developmental area I have been most concerned with but the doctor says her communication skills are average. She doesn't talk much, but she understands and interacts. That helped ease my concerns.
I took her into the doctor for her 12 month checkup and she certainly hit a growth spurt in the last couple months. She weighed in at 22.2 lbs which is in the 83rd percentile (up significantly from her last visit of 17.77 lbs and the 48th percentile). The doctor asked what had changed in her diet and the only thing I could come up with was an increase in how much formula she was drinking. She's 29.5 inches long (64th percentile) and has a head circumference of 18.5 inches (94th percentile). Doctor says she is above average in every developmental area except speech but even then he doesn't have any concerns.
My Darling Leila,
I can hardly believe one year has already come and gone. And what a year it has been! You have been to Disneyland two (going on three) times, St. George, Zions, Bryce, and Yellowstone National Parks, Idaho Falls, California to visit your grandparents, Florida (Disneyworld and Universal Studios), and on a Disney Cruise to the Bahamas.
You have grown in every way. I have been blessed to be able to watch you through it all. I watched as you rolled over for the first time. I watched as you learned to sit up on your own. I watched as you learned to crawl and then to walk. I watched as you ate various foods for the first time. I watched as you observed the world around you, soaking in everything you possibly could.
I love how observant you are. You have always been fascinated with people and try to figure out what those around you are doing. You are cautious when you are trying something new, often performing the new deed once and then refusing to repeat it for a couple weeks until you are more confident (you did this with rolling over and walking in particular).
I miss my snuggly newborn who would only sleep on my chest but I am just as in love with the adventurous toddler you've become. I am grateful for the pure joy that you have brought into my life, as you do to all those who are around you. And so, I look forward to what the next year has to offer as well as all the years to come.
Happy Birthday Leila! I love you!
Love,
Mom


No comments:
Post a Comment