October 24-I was discharged from American Fork hospital and made my way to Provo as quickly as I possibly could so that I could finally hold my sweet Ellie.
I just wished that Leila could have come with us so that my family could finally be together, but alas, cold season prevents kids from coming into the NICU so Leila won't get to meet Ellie until we bring her home. They told us to plan on her release date being close to her original due date (which was December 5). That seems so far away! But rather than focus on a date, we are watching for her to meet 3 main criteria for discharge: 1) maintain her own temperature, 2) consistently gain weight, and 3) be able to take all of her feedings orally. She did have a PICC line inserted because her IV sites kept failing. Thankfully the procedure went off without a hitch. The hope is that she will only need it in another 3-4 days.
Jason's parents were able to make the trip up from California to come meet Ellie.
October 25-I swear there is something new to update about Ellie every few hours and pretty much all of it positive. Based on her lab levels this morning, they are taking her off of antibiotics, which means no infection. Her bilirubin levels have started to climb so she does get to do some light therapy.
She was wide awake a good portion of both of our visits there today and it was so fun to watch her just absorb the world around her. I also got to start working on some feeding skills with her tonight, which was a lot sooner than I thought it would be. Just dry nursing right now, but it is definitely a step in the right direction!
| October 26-Under the Lights |
| October 27 |
| October 29-I could snuggle like this all day long! |
| October 31 |
| October 31-Tiny Toes! |
| November 3-Daddy's Girl |
November 6-Ellie is quite the trooper, but she was a little worn out today and feedings were a bit more of a struggle. So we are backing off a little tonight so that she can recoup some energy and hit it hard again tomorrow. Jason and I got to help give her a bath tonight. They do what's known as a swaddle bath and I could hardly believe how calm and relaxed she was. I think all parents with infants should be shown how to do one!
November 9-Ellie went tube free today! Other than getting a little tuckered out occasionally, she has been doing well. Overnight she'll be completing an oxygen saturation test to see if a little oxygen would help make things a bit easier for her. Other than that, we are just waiting to make sure she can handle feeding herself and keep growing without the use of the feeding tube. She's a whopping 4 lbs. 10 oz. now!
| November 10-On oxygen |
| November 11-Hospital Sleepover |
While having a baby in the NICU is not an experience I would wish upon anyone, I am so incredibly grateful for all of the resources that were available to us and helped us to get Ellie home as quickly as we did!
No comments:
Post a Comment