Monday, October 3, 2011

General Conference October 2011

During General Conference weekend (once every 6 months), members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and others who are interested gather worldwide in a series of two-hour sessions to receive inspiration and instruction from Church leaders.  I LOVE these weekends because of the Spirit that is felt and the words which are spoken.

One of my favorite aspects of Conference is listening to the prophet announce plans for new temples.  This time, 6 new temples were announced: Provo, Utah (the second for the city); Paris, France; Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo; Durban, South Africa; Barranquilla, Columbia; and Star Valley, Wyoming.  With these announcements, there are now 135 operating temples, 13 currently under construction, and 18 that have been announced.
Illustration of the design for the converted Provo Tabernacle (Intellectual Reserve, Inc.)
Representation of the new Provo temple
The announcement of the second Provo temple was particularly exciting for me not just because of its proximity to me, but because it will be constructed from the burnt-out shell of the old Provo Tabernacle.  I attended many events (like Stake Conferences) here as I grew up and am glad that it will be restored with an even greater purpose.

Most importantly, Conference is a time to gather at the feet of prophets and apostles to hear the word of the Lord.  Without fail, there is something within the talks for everyone listening.  This time, there were aspects of 3 different talks that stood out most to me.

First, I love President Uchtdorf's talk on individual worth during the Saturday morning session.  Favorite quote: "Compared to God, man is nothing; yet we are everything to God."  I loved the reminders that we are the reason He created the universe.  All of the beauties of the earth and the mysteries of the universe are built for our benefit.  Pretty incredible.

Second, I liked Elder Andersen's talk on the importance of parenthood (I wonder why).  Favorite quote: "Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling.  You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps.  It is not something you do if you can squeeze the time in.  It is what God gave you time for. [from a Christian mother's blog]"  While Jason and I planned and prepared for this baby, there have still been moments of doubt when I've wondered if it is the right timing, especially where my job is concerned.  I love my job and the people I work with now more than ever before.  I feel like I have found my niche where I perform well.  I also enjoy being able to contribute financially to my little family.  So it was nice to be reminded just how important the job is I am about to undertake.

Third, I LOVED Elder Carl B. Cook's anecdote about being in the Church administration building elevators and having President Monson tell him that "It's better to look up."  Since I was still thinking about Elder Andersen's talk, I applied this to the upcoming chapter in my life.  I know there will be many times when I will be tempted to look down with the weight of my motherly responsibilities (shoot, I already do this too often).  Favorite quote: "We will come to realize that most of what we worry about is not of eternal significance.  If it is, the Lord will help us."

I look forward to studying all of the talks in greater detail over the coming months and encourage everyone to do the same!  Click here to go to the Conference home page where videos, audio, and transcripts will be available.

No comments: