Monday, August 24, 2015

Californ-I-Ay: Channel Islands

We got up and going bright and early again the next morning and made our way to the boat that would take us out to Channel Islands National Park.  Unfortunately Leila got a little seasick on the way over, but it didn't slow her down too much.  Go figure that none of the rides in Disneyland made her queasy, but 20 minutes on a boat had her losing her breakfast.  Admittedly, we were sitting in the worst spot on the boat for motion AND she'd been jumping up and down with the waves which probably didn't help.



About halfway through the ride, we came across a pod of dolphins.  There were hundreds of them and it was so cool to watch!  It was a nursery pod, so only females and infants.  Way cool!



Once we got to the island, we got Jason and the girls settled into a little makeshift camp and the rest of us geared up to go on a 3 hour kayak excursion.  It was quite the adventure!  One that I was admittedly nervous about beforehand, but one that I am so glad I took advantage of!  The water was crystal clear blue, the weather was gorgeous, and kayaking was not as hard as I thought it was going to be.  We went into some cool sea caves and saw some fish, birds, and seals.


When we were done kayaking, we had a couple hours to kill relaxing before taking the boat back to the mainland.  We spent some time at the beach until Ellie remembered that she really doesn't care for sand and then I went and napped with her in the tent until it was time to go.  We also spotted a couple of these little foxes on the island.





Thankfully both girls slept the whole ride back, so no more seasick incidents.  Leila was quite perturbed when we got off the boat and kept insisting that she wanted to go back to the island.  Thanks for planning such a fun outing Taylor!  It was a great way to end a perfectly wonderful vacation!!


No comments: