Saturday, June 27, 2015

Mormon Miracle Pageant

Jason's parents came into town for a visit and promptly insisted on babysitting as much as we would allow.  They were kind enough to take the girls Friday afternoon so that I could go play with my Mom.  We met up with Jori and Ben for lunch up in Sandy and then she and I went and saw Inside Out.

Then, at the last minute Jason and I decided to go down to Manti for the Mormon Miracle Pageant that night.  We headed down after Jason got off of work and got settled in our seats not too long before the show started.  It was a perfect summer night and as I sat at the foot of this majestic temple, I felt peace.

Peace isn't always an easy thing to for me to find in a household with two young children.  But today was even a little bit more challenging than usual.  This morning, the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage in the United States.  And suddenly everyone and their dog had something to say.  The world is becoming more and more divisive--on both large and small issues.  Everyone has an opinion about everything and, thanks to social media, they share it frequently.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for voicing opinions.  What bugs me is when people don't agree and sharing turns to shaming. I have my own opinions, but that doesn't give me the right to force them onto anyone else.  And I would hope that others would extend me a similar courtesy.  Sadly that's not always the case.

But for a couple of glorious hours, none of that mattered.  I wasn't being flooded with negativity and doomsday talk.  I was with my husband, enjoying a night to ourselves and soaking in the wonderful Spirit of the pageant.

Unfortunately my peace didn't last too terribly long as we would hear from my in-laws that Leila had thrown up and Ellie didn't fall asleep until almost 11.  We stayed at a local hotel that night and then cut our overnighter a little bit short the next morning to go and relieve them.

No comments: