![]() |
| Baby's now the size of a Chinese cabbage! |
By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of her head to her heels. She can blink her eyes, which now sport lashes. With her eyesight developing, she may be able to see the light that filters through your womb. She's also developing billions of neurons in her brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.
This has been a bit of an emotional week for me. Last Friday I went in to the lab for my 1 hour glucose test. I was a little nervous about this test because I didn't really know what to expect. Turns out I had a reason to be a little nervous because my test results came back high. That meant I had to go in for another glucose test--the 3 hour one this time. Basically I had to sit in the lab fasting for 3 hours while they drew my blood 4 different times. Not fun.
But even this didn't compare with the disappointment I felt when the test results still came back high. I was officially diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Next week I get to go to a diabetes clinic and learn how to test my levels so that I can monitor them 4 times a day for the rest of my pregnancy.
Still, I know that there are worse things that can happen during pregnancy and am grateful that there are tests designed to catch these kinds of things early enough. Granny D has volunteered to walk with me every day and dad has been re-evaluating the groceries he buys. I am sure that everything will work out.

2 comments:
Wow, sorry to hear that. Here's hoping things go as smoothly as possible for the rest of your pregnancy!
So sorry! Keep your chin up! I always hate doing that glucose test, but I guess there is a good reason for it. Keep us posted about how you're doing.
Post a Comment