I have incorporated all of these different purposes into my personal blog (Kokayz's Kooky Khronicles). I started this particular blog shortly before I left for an internship in Taiwan. I viewed it as a way for my family and friends to follow along on my many adventures. I was able to post pictures and document my experiences in one convenient location! Being abroad made it difficult for my family and friends to keep directly in touch (though Skype helped with that problem), so they loved being able to know what I was up to.
But could such technology be incorporated into my classroom? The answer is a resounding YES!!! I actually implemented a blogging activity within one of my classrooms in Taiwan. I had each of the students write a letter to my sister Annie (who was their same age). The letter introduced themselves, asked some questions, and was a great way for them to practice some of the English skills I'd been reviewing with them. Next, we posted the letters on a blog and I sent the link to my sister. She then responded to them. The kids loved being able to communicate with someone their age who was half a world away. I think this idea could be used to establish "pen pals" in a similar method.
"What did you do in school today?" "Nothing." How often is that conversation held between parents and children? In my house, it happened frequently. If parents really want to know what their kids are doing in school, a class blog would be a great way keep them updated. It would also allow for them to get to know me better. Plus, it would open another channel of communication between parents and the teacher. Announcements, calendars, schedules, news, pictures. A blog could have it all!
Web technologies tend to come and go, but, for now, blogging is one that is extremely popular, easy to use, and can be incorporated into a classroom setting. How cool is that!
No comments:
Post a Comment