Saturday, January 5
We flew out before the crack of dawn and had a pretty uneventful flight. We arrived in the early afternoon Hawaii time and just had time to grab the rental car before Jason's parents and sisters arrived. We all loaded up in the van and made the familiar drive to Laie. It was a little overcast but the scenery was still beautiful and I was thrilled to be back in Hawaii (and out of the freezing cold temperatures of Utah). We got settled into our rental house in Hauula and promptly went to visit the nearby beach. I didn't realize just how much I miss the beach (other than the fact that I slipped and fell on some rocks and cut my hand up pretty good--just like old times).
Then we were off to Haleiwa to fulfill a 5 year craving of mine: cashew chicken at Haleiwa Eats. It was just as good as I remembered and the perfect way to kick off a wonderful vacation.
Sunday, January 6
The next morning dawned rainy on the North Shore so we decided to head into town for the day. Our destination was the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. We got there, paid to check our bags outside, only to discover that they had cancelled to boat tours for the day due to high winds. We wandered around the memorial for a bit before deciding to head to Waikiki.
| So close and yet so far |
We walked around the International Marketplace and a couple of the hotels by the beach.
Monday, January 7
Today we drove along the North Shore as we made our way to the Dole Plantation. We walked through the shop where we watched a demonstration on how to correctly peel and core a pineapple. I also learned that it takes at least 18 months to grow one pineapple from the top of another pineapple. 18 months! Think I'll stick to buying them at the store every now and then. The fresh pineapple was delicious though. We also rode the Pineapple Express that provided us with a mini-tour of the plantation (and more fresh pineapple).
The weather was a little better and we weren't far from Pearl Harbor so we decided to try the tour again and lucked out! This is truly a sacred and solemn place. It is certainly a humbling experience to learn about this aspect of world history.
After Pearl Harbor, it was back to North Shore for some Aoki's shave ice and Ted's Bakery Chocolate Haupia Cream Pie. Can you tell that food was high on my priority list of things to do while in Hawaii?
Tuesday, January 8
We woke up to more cloud cover and rain so we spent another day doing a lot of driving. This time we drove through Kailua and down the southwest coast. We drove past the elementary school where I student taught and then stopped by Makapu'u Point and the Halona Blowhole.
Wednesday, January 9
Wednesday brought one of our first days without rain, so we started our day off going to Laie Point to check out the views.
Then it was back into Honolulu, this time for the Swap Meet. This wonderful event is pretty much the best place to buy souvenirs for great prices. All of the "shops" surround the Aloha Stadium and it is really fun to just walk through it all.
| Our haul |
When our feet were done walking and our wallets were empty, we went back to the rental house and stopped by Pali Lookout on the way.
Then, Jason and I got to go on our first real date in Hawaii. We went and watched the sunset at Sunset Beach (my all time favorite beach). Then we went to Kua'aina Burgers in Haleiwa. Gotta say that I love this guy and am so glad that I met him in Hawaii over five years ago!
Thursday, January 10
This was our first day to hang around North Shore and, thankfully, the weather was really nice. Darlene, Jessica, and I took advantage of the good weather and hiked the Hauula Loop Trail.
The rest of the day was spent at the PCC visiting the different islands, eating at the luau, and watching the night show.
Friday, January 11
Mama Z, Daddy Z, Jason, Darlene, and I got all dressed and headed for the temple, leaving Jessica to babysit Leila. (Side note: Darlene and Jessica were GREAT with Leila the entire trip.) Unfortunately, we found out it was closed for maintenance once we got there. So we took pictures and enjoyed the Visitor's Center.
Then we went and picked up Jessica and Leila before we wandered around BYUH campus for a while. We ate at the Seasider and went to the bookstore while Jason and I reminisced about being students. Then it was beach time!
We finished the evening by watching the sunset at Sunset Beach with the whole clan and then eating dinner at Pizza Bob's.
Saturday, January 12
Jason's family had to be to the airport really early so Jason dropped them off so Leila and I could get a little more sleep. When he got back, we had to check out of the house and drove along the North Shore one last time. We stopped for one last piece of chocolate haupia pie and then drove to Ka'ena Point (eastern point of the island). We saw some skydivers which renewed my desire to skydive in Hawaii someday. That was probably one of my biggest regrets about my time there as a student. One of my roommates went and I was too much of a cheapskate to join her. Someday though!
We had to return the rental car by 1pm to avoid paying an extra day but our flight didn't leave until 10pm. So we dropped it off and then jumped on The Bus to Ala Moana. I have many fond (and some not-so-fond memories) of The Bus (which was my primary mode of transportation while at school). We made it, but let's just say I prefer riding the bus without a squirming toddler and all of our carry-on luggage. We chilled at the mall and local beach park for a few hours before we got back on The Bus headed for the airport.
Unfortunately, taking a red eye with an on-lap toddler meant little to no sleep for me. We made it to San Francisco and were delayed not once but twice because of maintenance checks. The second time was because the baggage conveyor truck thing hit our plane. Go figure. Leila was so done with being contained by this point so the last leg was rough so landing in freezing Salt Lake was still welcome. We all made it home and slept as much as we could over the next week to catch up. One of the signs of a great vacation!
No comments:
Post a Comment