Sunday, October 5, 2008

PowerPoint Intro

This week I was re-introduced to the basics of PowerPoint. This amazing program provides the tools to create "slideshow" presentations that can be used for a variety of purposes. I have previously used PowerPoint extensively both as a student and as a teacher.

As a student, PowerPoint proved useful in countless group projects and oral presentations. It provides a visual for the rest of the class and allows for easy notetaking. However, one of the dangers of PowerPoint is the tendency to simply read the slides aloud, creating a dull lecture instead of an interactive presentation.

As a teacher, I have used PowerPoint both as a lecture tool and a student-based learning tool. In lectures, just as in group presentations, the PowerPoint provides a fun, easy-to-read visual aid. The same danger of reading the slides is present though. This can be overcome with practice. One of the best PowerPoint presentations I created for the classroom was a Jeopardy gameboard that incorporated links within the project. The students enjoyed using this familiar game for reviews.

I also encouraged my students to use PowerPoint presentations for some of their asignments. The largest, most successful one was when each of them created a presentation to accompany their science fair projects. This familiarized them with the fundamentals of PowerPoint, gave them a tool to use in presenting their projects, and was fun for them to do. I did find it necessary to establish clear rubrics and expectations of the presentations so that the kids would challenge themselves instead of sliding by with minimal effort.

I think PowerPoint is a wonderful tool to use in schools. However, teachers should be careful that it does not become a crutch to stand on as anything gets mundane after repeated use.

No comments: